Jinekomasti is defined as benign breast growth due to various reasons in men. According to the researches carried out in our country, gynecomastia is seen in one in 3 men. Gynecomastia is not a disease, but a disorder of appearance. Although it is usually seen in adolescence, it can also occur in insotility and old age. The problem of gynecomastia in adolescence can pass by itself. If this problem is seen for a long time, it requires treatment. Although gynecomastia is not a health problem, it causes a lack of self-confidence in men, various psychological problems and a shift away from the social environment.
Me growth problem can be seen due to irregular or unstable hormones called estrogen and testosterone in men’s bodies. Breast growth occurs as a result of the increase of estrogen, i.e. the female hormone, in the body of men. There may be more than one cause of hormone balance change, and gynecomastia may have other underlying causes besides hormone imbalances. It is possible to explain these reasons as follows;
• Due to the excess estrogen passed through the mother in male babies, breast size may be seen from birth. This condition of gynecomastia passes and usually disappears spontaneously 2-3 weeks after birth.
• The cause of gynecomastia during adolescence is due to the increased hormone estrogen. During this period, the problem of breast growth lasting between 6 months and 2 years can be observed.
• Gynecomastia in adults is caused by impaired hormonal balance due to aging. This problem of gynecomastia occurs after the age of 60.
• The problem of breast growth can also be caused by prostate cancer drugs, prostate treatment drugs, some drugs used to treat AIDS, the use of steroids and andogens, some of the antidepressants, ulcers and some antibiotic drugs, chemotherapy treatment and some heart medications.
• Drug and alcohol use can also disrupt the body’s hormone balance, causing gynecomastia.
• Some tumors in the body, cirrhosis, liver failure, hyperthyroidism and kidney failure can also lead to the end of breast growth.
• Substances such as lavender oil or tea tree extract found in some herbal shampoos, soaps or lotions contain low estrogen, and their prolonged use is thought to cause gynecomastia in men
What are the symptoms of Giomasti?
Symptoms of gynecomastia in men are tenderness in the breasts, pain, excessive swelling and fluid coming from one or two nipples
How to diagnosegiomasti?
Physical examination is performed first for the diagnosis of the problem of breast growth. During the physical examination, the doctor makes a manual diagnosis. During the examination, a mass comes to the hand from the nipple. After this initial diagnosis, USG is performed and gynecomastia is fully diagnosed.
Jinekomasti problem is often expected to pass by itself. If there is a problem of breast size that does not pass after 3 years, the underlying cause should be investigated. When the underlying is detected and treated, the problem of breast growth is mostly eliminated. Multiple options are available for the treatment of gynecomastia.
The treatment of the language;
Applied for gynecomastia, which has not yet progressed, that is, is still in its infancy. With the use of drugs that eliminate hormone imbalance, the problem of breast growth diagnosed in the early period can be effectively treated. Drugs called testosterone replacement can also be used for gynecomastia. These drugs usually eliminate the problem of breast growth for older men but provide an effect for those with low testosterone hormone levels in their body. The drug treatment, called SERM, is applied for gynecomastia, which is severe or painful. These drugs help reduce breast tissue
Necomasti surgery is required to solve the problem once and for all. Surgical treatment varies according to the type of gynecomastia. The types of gynecomastia can be examined in four groups as breast growth due to excess breast tissue, which develops due to excess adipose tissue, both hard breast tissue and fat, and which develops due to excess skin in the breast.
• If there is a problem with gynecomastia caused by hard breast tissue, open surgery is preferred by doctors.
• Liposuction, i.e. fat removal, is provided only if there is jnekomasti caused by adipose tissue
• If there is a problem with breast growth due to both hard breast tissue and fat, open it